Home' Advocate Communications : Fiordland Advocate 15 September 2011 Contents WHAT'S COOKING
Page 12 | 15 September, 2011
Black pasta with olive zing squid
Pasta: 300g black pasta
25g butter or olive oil spread,
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Squid: ½ cup cornflour
2 tablespoons olive zing
300g frozen squid rings, thawed
1 egg white, lightly beaten
canola oil for deep-frying
Cook the pasta according to the
packet instructions. Drain and toss
together with the melted butter or
olive oil spread and crushed garlic.
Meanwhile, combine the cornflour
and olive zing in a bowl. Dip the
squid rings in the egg white then
into the cornflour mixture, shaking
off the excess.
Deep-fry in batches in hot oil for
30 seconds to 1 minute per batch.
Drain on paper towels.
Keep warm in a low-heat oven, if
Serve on the cooked pasta.
There is no black and white answer
to the question of which team will
win the Rugby World Cup. Of course
we Kiwis are colour blind -- we can
only see All Blacks.
And for those of us who won't be
cheering from the stands, there will be the twofold pleasure of enjoying
the comprehensive television coverage along with moreish black and
Here are some simple ideas and recipes to impress your family and
• Black olives skewered with white cocktail onions.
• Slices of black pumpernickel bread topped with garlic-flavoured
cottage cheese and sprinkled with black sesame seeds.
• Pizza topped with sautéed dark mushrooms, chopped black olives
and fresh mozzarella cheese.
• Hard-boiled eggs served in a black bowl with a mayonnaise and black
lumpfish roe dipping sauce.
• White sandwich bread (crusts removed) spread with Marmite and
chopped bean sprouts then rolled up.
• Slices of black pudding sautéed and served on rounds of white bread.
• Black & white kebabs: cubes of black pudding, feta cheese and
button mushrooms marinated in balsamic vinegar.
• Prunes stuffed with goat's cheese.
• White bean and black bean salad dressed with a lemon juice and
light olive oil vinaigrette.
• Cauliflorets and cubed Granny Smith apples combine with cooked
black wild rice and tossed with a lemon juice and light olive dressing.
• Bowls of white marshmallows and black liquorice or white mints with
• Oreo cookies.
• Vanilla ice cream drizzled with a little Kikkoman soy sauce (Yes -- it's
• White cup cakes iced with black icing. (Black food colouring is
available from your supermarket.)
• Coconut macaroons half dipped in dark chocolate.
• Blackberries (frozen berries thawed) served on vanilla ice cream or
• Prunes mulled in liqueur or red wine and served with whipped cream.
• Spiders: ice cream in a long glass topped with fizzy cola.
• Softened vanilla ice cream combined with chopped liquorice.
• Affogatos: hot black coffee poured over ice cream in a long glass.
• Black coffee or tea served in white cups or mugs.
• Black or White Russians.
• Black beer and white wine.
Give these a try
4 slices ciabatta, toasted
100g flaked smoked white fish
4 tablespoons black lumpfish roe
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, quartered
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Top the ciabatta with the smoked
fish. Combine the lumpfish roe
with the oil and spoon over the
fish. Sprinkle with a squeeze of
lemon juice and black pepper.
250g skinned and boned
½ cup lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup short-grained rice
2 cups water
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ cup sushi su vinegar,
3-4 sheets black nori
Cut the fish into thin strips.
Place in a glass bowl. Add
the lemon juice, garlic and
black pepper. Cover and
refrigerate until the fish
has taken on a cooked
appearance, about 2 hours.
Wash the rice well in a sieve. Bring
to the boil in the 2 cups of water.
Cover, reduce the heat and
simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stand
for 10 minutes, until the water is
absorbed by the rice.
Dissolve the sugar in the warm
vinegar. Fork it through the rice.
Spread the rice over the nori.
Drain the fish and pat dry. Place
a line of fish across the rice.
Sprinkle with more black pepper.
Roll up the sushi and seal firmly.
Cut into 2.5cm slices.
Excellent served with a dipping
sauce of light soy sauce combined
with a dash of lemon juice.
Makes about 20.
Sushi with marinated fish
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 x 400g cans black beans, drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
pinch chilli powder
½ teaspoon each: ground cumin,
dried oregano freshly ground black
pepper, to taste
2 cups chicken stock or water
sour cream to garnish
Heat the oil in a medium
Sauté the onion on medium heat,
Add the garlic and sauté for
another 1-2 minutes.
Purée or mash half the beans.
Add to the onion together with the
whole beans, lemon
juice, seasonings and stock
Simmer gently for about 10
Serve in bowls topped with a
dollop of sour cream.
Black bean soup
I used olive zing -- a mix of powdered black olives, flaky sea salt, ground black peppercorns, chilli and lemon
rind -- from Telegraph Hill. You could make your own mix by combining a pinch of chilli with ⅓ each: flaky salt,
black pepper and finely grated lemon rind.
Links Archive Fiordland Advocate 22 September 2011 Fiordland Advocate 8 September 2011 Navigation Previous Page Next Page